Roasted Eggplant Pasta
The sun is finally shining! I know this sounds like such a simple statement but this is the first time the sun has been truly shining since Sunday afternoon. While my plants enjoy this weather, I do not…mostly because this means my dogs have been essentially stuck inside and they get a little stir crazy. I have been taking advantage of this weather to start working out new recipes and to catch up on some reading. I am still working on expanding my horizons so I bought a book of world recipes, and I’m now in the process of basic vegetarian conversions. When I get a new recipe book the first thing I do is flag all as-is-vegetarian recipes, which will go straight to testing. Then I start trying to figure out how to convert the remaining recipes to be vegetarian or vegan. Once that fun part has been taken of I start testing and tweaking the recipe, and after it passes the exam I write it down in my recipe in journal. Most recipes are tested at least three times before going into the book while others, like this one, wind up being testing closer to a dozen times before it’s deemed perfect.
Ingredients: (serves 4-5)
- 1 large eggplant, cubed (1 – 1.5lbs)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 lb linguine noodles
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- Turn oven to 450 and lightly grease a large roasting pan.
- Lay the eggplant in a single layer on the roasting pan, then cover with half of the balsamic vinaigrette and light dust with salt and pepper. Roast for 20minutes, then turn and coat with the remaining vinaigrette and roast for an additional 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a medium saute pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes, until the onion begins to turn translucent. Turn the heat down to medium low, add the diced tomatoes and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to help break down the tomatoes.
- While the sauce is cooking prepare the pasta according to the box, drain and return to pan.
- Once the eggplant has finished roasting add to the sauce and stir. Season to taste with oregano and basil and cook for 5 minutes. Pour sauce over pasta, add the freshly grated cheese, and mix well. Serve!
This dish involves only a few recipes which really allows everything to shine with the balsamic vinaigrette just adding another layer. This dish also goes really well with some nice oregano bread or other crusty Italian bread.