Happy Valentine’s Day! I’ll admit it, I am not a big V-Day person. I don’t get the point behind what is essentially a Hallmark Chocolate Holiday. If you love someone show them every day, don’t save it up for one random date in February. However I’m in the minority and on occasion I will even be swept into the insanity of the holiday.
I have always believed that the best way to show someone you care is by making or cooking them something. It takes only a few moments to buy a box of chocolate but it can take a few days/weeks to find the perfect recipe and potentially take a few hours to make it. This delicious caramel apple pie is a great way to show someone you care, if that someone happens to be having an affair with caramel.
– 1 two layer pie crust (I used Joy of Cooking Sour Cream Tart Crust and scaled to 9in)
– 3 Sour apples, cored, seeded, and cubed
– 1/3 cup brown sugar
– 2 tbsp butter, softened
– 1/4 cup flour
– 2 tbsp caramel syrup (Monin) or 1/2 tbsp caramel sauce mixed with 1 tbsp HOT water
– 2 tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp cloves
1. Preheat oven to 350. Place the bottom crust in a 9in pie tin.
2. Mix the sugar and butter until creamy, mix in the flour then add the caramel syrup, cinnamon and cloves. Blend well then fold in the apples. Pour the mixture into the pie tin and top with the second crust, sealing well. Cut slits into the top of the crust for venting and bake for 45min.
In order to keep the edges of my pie from burning I use a silicon pie crust cover. This also helps to seal the edges of the pie. I normally remove it about 5 minutes before the end of bake time, that way the crust is able to reach a nice golden color. Nothing says I love you like caramel apple goodness!