Hello August!!! Hello Monday!!! Hello Secret Recipe Club reveal day!!!! This month I was partnered with the incredible Andrea of Adventures in all things Food – which has got to be one of the best blog names EVER. Andrea’s blog has a bit of everything, from vegetarian goodies to desserts to crafts fit for the entire family. I’ve been a sweet kick lately so I went straight to her dessert section, trying to avoid eye contact with her peanut butter icing because OMGoodness chocolate donuts with PEANUT BUTTER – nom nom nom. However, in the end I was won over by her fall ready Apple Crisp. I’m normally a summer girl but I’m ready for cooler temperatures! Didn’t even make any changes to the recipe – it’s perfect already! While Andrea didn’t specify what type of apple, I went with Pink Ladies since they offer a great combination of sweet and tart. Plus they hold up well when it comes to baking.
6 cups apple, peeled and sliced (about 3 large)
1/4 c. unsweetened apple juice
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 stick unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter up a 9x9 baking dish
- Put the sliced apples into a large bowl buttered then add the apple juice along with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss well then pour into the baking dish
- In a separate bowl mix combine the flour, brown sugar, and remaining cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or with two knives.
- Stir in the oats and sprinkle this over the apples.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the apples are bubbling and topping is golden brown. Allow to set for 5 minutes then Serve!!!!
I also went with old fashioned oats, tho quick oats would also work well. I just prefer a crisper crisp! For a vegan option, switch out the butter for earth balance or a similar spread – easy peasy. Since there are 5 Mondays in August – there will be another secret recipe club post at the end of the month so hope to see everyone then (if not sooner).