Welcome to Group A’s first posting session for 2015! I’m so excited to be participating in the Secret Recipe Club for another year – and can’t wait to see how many awesome things I’ll get to make this year. My first assigned blog of the year is Claire K Creations which is run by the fantastic Claire C. Her bog is packed with all sorts of goodies running from the savory to sweet and healthy to decadent. I decided to pick something in the middle, going with her Chocolate Banana Cake, figuring that the addition of bananas made it a “healthier” dessert option – I mean that’s how this all works, right??? I love that the recipe is inspired by one from a book and while I haven’t read that Jane Green novel, I have enjoyed a few of her works. I did screw up a bit with the recipe as I totally missed that the chocolate was to be melted, and I totally had already folded in my chocolate chips by that point. However it still turned out fantastic!
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup plus 2 tbsp flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cocoa
3 ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat to 325 and lightly grease a 9 inch tart or spingform pan.
- Cream together the butter and sugar for 10 minutes or until fluffy, continue to beat the mixture while slowly adding the eggs.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer stand and sift in the dry ingredients, folding them in to the batter.
- Stir in the mashed banana until the batter is even and then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle of the cake.
- Let it rest in the pan for 5 minutes before flipping it onto a cooling rack.
- Serve the cake warm topped with powdered sugar.
Oh, did I mention Claire is also an Aussie? Another awesome part of her blog was finding out about all the local treats which my little sister will be exploring in just a few months when she heads south for her 6 month (or 18month) adventure in the Land of Oz.
Quick heads up – this is only 1 of 3 blog posts that I have going up today, so be sure to check all of them out!