Chocolate Stuffed Muffins
Oh, chocolate – you are amazing. Which is why I was rather thrilled to see that Random Recipes – hosted by the fantastic Dom of Belleau Kitchen along with the Chocolate Log Blog (cuz chocolate!!!) – was going chocolate this month, in addition to the normal rules. I only have two dedicated dessert books, but found that a number of my books had at least one chocolate recipe tucked away. In the end a non-dessert book won out, and with that these delicious chocolate filled muffins from 1000 Vegetarian Recipes. I did make a slight adjustment to the recipe, as the basic muffin directions called for zest which is something I avoid due to an allergy. I also decided to go with milk chocolate chips, while the original recipe didn’t say one way or another.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 and line or grease 12 standard sized muffin cups.
- In a large bowl mix together the flours, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set Aside
- Beat the egg in a small bowl, then mix in the buttermilk followed by the melted butter. Quickly mix in to the dry ingredients, mixing until just wet.
- Spoon 1 full tbsp of batter into muffin tin, then place 4-5 chips in the middle and top with another full tbsp of batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until muffins are brown. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to the cooling rack. Serve and enjoy!
The best thing about this recipe is that the technique can be used for making other types of filled/stuffed muffins. I could see pieces of fruit, jam, or caramel (!) doing rather nicely in this delicious muffin – or being really naughty and putting brownie or cookie dough in the middle! If I was to do chocolate again I would probably use something more like a chocolate nugget as the chips didn’t really give it as much chocolate as I was expecting – or use a chocolate spread like Nutella!