Time for Part 1 of my August Secret Recipe Club entry! This month I was assigned my Group A blog and was also able to pick up an orphan blog from Group D. First up: Cookin’ Mimi, a blog that has essentially been around since Micha was 4 years old and her first recipe published. Needless to say her blog is stuffed full of delicious recipes. I was able to narrow down to five recipes, some sweet and some savory, before finally narrowing it down to a final two recipes. In the end, I had to go with her Mexican Rice as this is something I’m frequently making ala a box. I was intrigued by the idea of making my own and the fact that it’s super easy makes it even better. I did make some changes in order to add an extra kick to the dish, for those seeking a milder (and probably more traditional version) make to sure to head over to Cookin’ Mimi!
- 2Tablespoons butter or oil
- 1/4 vidalia onion, diced
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder or 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for five minutes before adding the rice. Cook 2-3 minutes or until rice is translucent and fragrant, stirring frequently to prevent garlic from burning.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice along with the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked. Remove from heat and let rest, still covered, for five minutes. Fluff rice with fork and serve.
I served mine topped with some shredded cheese, and with some enchiladas verde but have a feeling this rice would also go great inside of burritos. I’m totally going to give her Irish Tea cake a try in the near future – gotta love a dessert where are all the ingredients are ones I always have on hand.
Make sure to check out the rest of Group A’s entries – including my second one!