Spinach & Zucchini “Lasagna”
Bonus Secret Recipe Club entry!!!! I’m a member of Group A of the Secret Recipe club but this month I was called in to assist a member of Group B that wound up orphaned. As soon as I saw the name of the blog I knew I was in for a delicious treat as Heather’s Fit Mama Real Food blog is stuffed with healthy and easy dishes. I drove right in to her recipe page as I knew I had no time to lose with this – I needed to pick a WOW recipe NOW. With the help of my husband I was able to narrow it down to a few (applesauce! refried beans!) options (carrot cake DONUTS!!!), all of which only required a quick stop by the store on the way home. In the end I avoided the cream cheese icing (seriously??? carrot cake donuts!!!) and went with a healthy dinner option: Spinach and Zucchini Lasagna. I had to make a few changes to the recipe (ricotta for cottage cheese) and also changed it from a lasagna to a pasta bake since I wanted the dish to be done before the incoming storm (and potential power loss). Honestly this recipe is more like two recipes since you get a simply awesome tomato sauce as a bonus!
2 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 zucchini, diced into moons (sliced in half length ways, then small moon shaped pieces)
4 cups frozen spinach, thawed and the excess water pressed out
28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
6 ounce can tomato paste
16 ounce can tomato sauce
1 lb whole white rigatoni
12 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese
2 beaten eggs
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- In a medium pot over medium-low heat, add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sauce, garlic, basil and half the sea salt. Simmer uncovered while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- Add the zucchini to a medium skillet (coated with olive oil spray) and cook over medium-high heat until the zucchini is browned and soft. Set aside. Add the onion next and cook until soft and translucent. Set aside.
- In a large pot, boil water and cook noodles until al dente - drain and set aside.
- Combine ricotta chese with eggs, pepper, the remaining sea salt, and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl or food processor.
- Place a scoop of the tomato sauce in a 13×9 in baking dish, making sure to spread it along the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Spoon in a third of the noodles, then a third of the ricotta cheese (spreading evenly), following with another spoonful of sauce. Repeat - finish the final layer with the grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 30-35 min. Let stand 5-10 minutes before digging in!
Make sure to check out Heather’s blog for all her delicious recipes – as well as pictures of her adorable baby.