Eggplant Parmesan Pizza
Greetings one and all! Another month has flown by and it’s time for a brand new Secret Recipe Club recipe I have to admit that one of the highlights of my blog month is getting the new blog assignment from my fearless host Amanda and checking out all the cool new recipes I can pick from. This month I was assigned the Pictures of all my Princesses blog run by Jules. I was immediately drawn in by the cute header and set out to find the perfect new recipe to try. I wasn’t sure what recipe I wanted to try or even what type of recipe I was in the mood for so I started at the beginning and worked by way up. I noted a few recipes that sounded interested before spotting the PERFECT recipe for my household: Eggplant Sauce!!! Not only did the recipe give instructions for serving this sauce three different ways, one of them included a way to adapt it for pizza. I was sold and quickly started collecting all the ingredients I needed. I did cheat and use my bread machine to prep my crust, but I have found that my blood pressure tends to do best when I’m not trying to kneed dough. I did make some slight modifications to make it vegetarian friendly and also left out the cream since I felt that much dairy might be a little much. Please check out the original recipe if you don’t have the restriction and if you want to see the other ways you can use this incredibly versatile sauce.
1 egg plant, quartered lengthwise
2 roma tomatoes, quartered
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion, quartered
1 1/2 c. vegetable broth
4 basil leaves
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
pinch of smoked paprika
pepper to taste
3/4 cup Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Brush vegetables with oil and lightly sprinkle with salt. Place the eggplant skin down and roast at 425 for 30 minutes.
- In a pot combine and simmer the vegetable broth, basil, red pepper flakes, and paprika for 10minutes.
- Once the vegetables have finished roasting, scrape eggplant's flesh from purple skin. Then add the eggplant, onion, tomatoes, and garlic to broth.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes until vegetables are really tender, taste and add additional seasonings if needed. Remove half to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour mixture over a prepared pizza crust and top with the cheeses. Place the pizza in a cool oven, turn to 425 and bake for 30minutes until crust is brown and cheese is bubbling. Enjoy!
This dish was a HUGE hit in my house, and as an added bonus it gave off an amazing aroma. To enhance the flavors I used an oregano pizza crust recipe and it worked perfectly. The little bit of sauce left over was also the perfect dip for the pizza crust ensuring that not a single drop was wasted!