Herbal Tuna Salad with Hummus
This recipe is a marriage of two of my favorite salads: Rubino‘s Italian Tuna Salad and Gordon Biersch‘s Pita Hummus Salad. I decided to modify them and come up with a dish that had the best of both flavor profiles while being quick and easy. I had intended to add some tomatoes to this dish but my garden did not cooperate. Any type of pasta could be used for this dish, including orzo but there is something about the tri-colored pasta noodles that add the right pop in taste and color. For the dressing I decided to do a simple oil-based herbal dressing but a balsamic or red wine vinaigrette would work as well. The trick is to make sure the dressing doesn’t overpower the dish, so NO ranch!
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 1 lb tri-colored rotini pasta, cooked and cooled
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tins tuna, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 6 basil leaves
- pinch of salt/pepper
- 1/2 cup hummus (here for BEST recipe)
- Mix the pasta, onion, and tuna.
- Blend together the remaining ingredients and then pour over the pasta, toss well!
- Top with 1-2 tbsp of the hummus and then enjoy 🙂