So today is my big day, my last day with glasses or contacts. I’ve taken my eye drops and now I’m just counting down until Joe gets home to take me to THE appointment. The nerves have kicked in and I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to keep myself occupied over the next few days while I’m stuck at home. I have no doubts that things are going to go well but at the same time, I’m still nervous.
I have been cooking lately, but I have mostly been testing some new recipes. The hint of spring is in the air and I want to make sure I have tons of recipes ready to go once the markets open back up. In the meantime I have my cookbooks open and I’m tweaking and reworking and trying to find what works best for me. This recipe is one of those. It started life as a dish for lamb, now the lamb is gone and the eggplant is front and center. I also added some additional peppers and onions in order to give it a fuller taste.
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 4 cups eggplant, cubed
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 onion, chopped
– 1/2 green pepper, chopped
– 1/4 cup dry white wine
– 4 cups plum tomatoes, chopped
– 1 tsp oregano
– 1 tsp parsley
– 1/2 cup crumbled feta (or vegan sub)
– salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet heat the oil over med high. Add the onion and garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add the eggplant and cook an additional 2 minutes.
2. Add the wine and turn heat to medium and simmer until the eggplant starts to soften. Add the tomatoes and seasoning. Cook an additional 10minutes, uncovered, then add the feta cheese (or vegan sub) and season to taste. Serve with brown rice or a crusty bread.
This dish also cooks up very fast, which makes it perfect for a busy weekday night. I served mine with oregano bread but brown rice would also work really well. This dish also tastes great with a cup of chickpeas tossed in, nothing wrong with some extra protein!