I am slowly getting back to normal in terms of health, which is good seeing as how we are leaving on Sunday for the Eastern Shore. Now it’s just a matter of taking it easy and not pushing myself too fast so that I can avoid winding up back in bed. The good thing to come from all of that I’ve got time on my hands to do some much needed blogging.
I am finally ready to post my Peach Cake Recipe. This was my first attempt to do a vegan cake, and only my second experience making a cake from scratch so this was more than a little daunting. While it wasn’t as thick as I wanted the taste was amazing, and in the end that’s really all that matters!
- 1/4 cup(s) (1/2 stick) soy butter
- 1/3 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) (packed) light brown sugar, mixed with above granulated sugar
- 1 pound(s) ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into 3⁄4-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/4 cup(s) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) (1 stick) soy butter, softened
- 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup apple sauce
- 1/3 cup(s) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- Place oven rack in lowest position; heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat in a medium skillet. Add sugars, crumbling brown sugar; cook, stirring over medium heat, until mixture bubbles and looks creamy and smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour butter mixture into the bottom of a spring-form cake pan, making sure to brush up on the sides of the pan; arrange peach slices on top of butter mixture in concentric circles.
- In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl until blended. In a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes; add applesauce and mix until well blended. On low speed, beat in half of the flour mixture, milk, maple and vanilla, once smooth add in the remaining flour mixture and mix again until batter is smooth.
- Spoon batter into pan, and using a spatula, gently spread batter over peaches in an even layer to reach the sides of the skillet. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until top is golden brown and a pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge. Invert a serving plate over top of the cake pan. Using oven mitts, invert cake onto platter (replacing any peaches that stick) Serve warm or at room temperature!